HomeVisaTourist Attractions Learning Thai Thai Food Recipes Thai History Muay Thai

Maps Of Suphan Buri

Suphan Buri Map

Wat Pa Lelai Worawihan :

     Suphan Buri Travel Guide : Wat Pa Lelai Worawihan
        Wat Pa Lelai Worawihan is located on the banks of Tha Chi River. The temple has the royal insignia of King Rama V, which shows that it is a royal temple. According to historical records, before succeeding to the throne, King Rama V was a monk and it was during that time More....


Wat Khae :

Suphan Buri Travel Guide : Wat Khae
        You can also see other ancient items in the temple that include a brass bell, a boiler made from brass that the monks used to boil dye for their robes, and a bookcase, which was given to the temple by King Rama V in 1869. More....



Suphan Buri Travel Guide :

Don Chedi Monument 

        Suphan Buri Province was formerly called Phanthum Buri. According to historical evidence, Suphan Buri was constructed between 877 and 882 A.D. on the banks of Tha Chin River.


        Then during Phanthum period, when King Katae was reigning, he got the town moved from the left bank to the right one. The king then ordered Wat Sanam Chai to be constructed while getting Wat Pa Lelai renovated. Thereafter, he convinced 2,000 Thai officials to become monks. That is how the town's name was changed to Son Phan Buri, which means City of Two Thousand.

        The town was moved again to the western bank of Tha Chin River during the reign of King U Thong and it name was changed again to U Thong. This name stayed on until the reign of King Khun Luang Pha Ngua when the town's name was changed to Suphan Buri.

        Suphan Buri with its long history has many historical sites worth visiting. One such site is Don Chedi Monument, which is around 31 kilometers from the center of the town. The monument was built to honor King Naresuan, the Great, after he won a battle against the invading Burmese army. According to records, the king defeated Phra Maha Upparacha, the Burmese crown prince, in a single hand fight while being seated on an elephant's back. The fight took place in January 1592 and was instrumental in helping the Thai people win back their sovereignty from the Burmese.

        In 1952, the Thai Royal Army built a new pagoda over the old one. This pagoda was 36 meters wide and 66 meters high. During the opening ceremony of the new pagoda on 25 January 1959, the King of Thailand was present. This day has now become the Royal Thai Army Day.

Suphan Buri Travel Guide : Don Chedi Monument





Home | Play Flash Games | Thai News | Muay Thai | Thai Food Recipes | Thai History | Thai Culture | Horoscopes |
Online Radio | Flight Booking | Hotel Booking | Moving To Thailand | Investment & Real Estate|Contact

2012 Thailandbuddy.com All Rights Reserved
( Suphan Buri Travel Guide : Don Chedi Monument )